About Our Parish
About the Annunciation Parish
Located in Escambia County, Florida, The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church has served the greater Pensacola area for 100 years.
The first Greek immigrants that came to Pensacola were seaman that manned sailing vessels in the mid to late 1800s. Some of the crew settled here as fishermen. Gradually the stream of immigrants from Greece increased. These new citizens made their living in the fishing industry, groceries, restaurants and other small businesses. The first Greek Orthodox Church was built in 1910 at the corner of Wright and Reus Street and was the home to this parish until 1954 when the present church on Garden Street was constructed. The Hellenic Center was built in 1950 and the Fr. Leftheris Education Building was completed in 1961. The church was consecrated by the late Archibishop Iakovos in 1973. Our parish is an active community of 150 families of various ethnic backgrounds.